Lee District Dems
vice chair, events
FCDC vice chair, south
Lee Dems February meeting
Thursday February 4, 2021 | 7:30 pm | Check back for Zoom link.
New Year’s message
from our chair
Hello, Lee Dems!
Happy New Year! We made it to 2021. I want to thank you for being with us. For me, last year was a challenging year. As many of you may know, my family lost my mother shortly before Christmas and my mother-in-law shortly before Thanksgiving. Yes, it was indeed a very long month for my family. Thank you to all who reached out and expressed their condolences. Our family is doing okay and we continue to take it day by day and even minute by minute. The spirit of our moms lives on in my husband, Carroll, and me — and in our two daughters. Our moms loved their granddaughters and poured so much love into them that it will last a lifetime. They left us with many life lessons but, most importantly, with a continued passion to serve and advocate. While this Christmas and New Year’s was so very different from any we have had in the past, we know they want us to get back to work. It is in that spirit that I persevere and now return my focus to the work of this committee.
But, before we look forward to 2021, I ask for your indulgence to recap our accomplishments of 2020. We have much to celebrate. When I was elected chair in December 2019, we had 51 members and approximately 26 cents in our bank account, after depleting our coffers to elect phenomenal Democrats to the General Assembly, Board of Supervisors and School Board.
Despite the pandemic, in 2020:
- We raised more than $6,000 to support electing Democrats.
- We doubled our membership, to 104.
- We pivoted and held virtual monthly meetings and welcomed more than 10 guest speakers.
- We engaged the community and supported the first-ever Kingstowne March for Social Justice.
- We successfully advocated to change the name of Lee High School to John Lewis High.
- We pivoted and held an amazing virtual Opening Day event and raised $3,730.
- We held our first Back to School Community Social fundraiser and raised $2,200.
- We advocated for shorter early voting lines and raised awareness of the challenges to early voting for marginalized groups in our district. An article and pictures of the long early voting lines at the Franconia Governmental Center were published in the Washington Post.
- We collected over $470 in donations from voters in line for early voting.
- We raised $500 by selling yard signs.
- Most importantly, we helped elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris as our next president and vice president, and reelected Senator Mark Warner and U.S. Rep. Don Beyer (and, in one precinct, U.S. Rep. Gerry Connolly).
Our theme this year will be Opportunity. As members of Lee Dems, we all have the opportunity to serve and the opportunity to advocate for our district. We have an incredibly dedicated group of volunteers. In 2021 we will see
- a new president sworn in and the opportunity to serve and support the new administration.
- redistricting at the state and local levels, and the opportunity to advocate for our district.
- statewide elections and the opportunity to help elect a democratic slate statewide.
There is a lot of work for us all to do in 2021. The year 2020 did not personally end the way I expected. Our tradition had been to call our parents at midnight and scream Happy New Year with the girls. It was hard this year. My family and many others will enter a new life chapter in 2021. And to those that also lost a loved one this year, we send a virtual hug to you. So as we reflect on last year and look forward to the year to come, I am drawn to this quote from Edith Lovejoy Pierce:
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.”
Let’s make this year about the new opportunities we have with a new administration, with redistricting and with our statewide elections.
Be well, Lee Dems,
chair, Lee District Democratic Committee
chair, FCDC Black Caucus
We look forward to meeting you in person (someday) or on Zoom (for the time being). Our monthly meetings are a great place to meet like-minded folks and voice your opinion. The Lee District Democratic Committee values inclusion. We invite all Democrats to join us, regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
In 2021, we’ll meet via Zoom at 7:30 pm on the first Thursday of each month. Check the calendar for changes in the schedule.
Lee District Democratic Committee mailing address:
FCDC, attn: Lee Dems
8500 Executive Park Ave.
Fairfax, VA 22031